Buying digital games on Xbox One FAQ

Discussion in 'Windows Know Base' started by securityhope, Feb 9, 2017.

1. securityhope

securityhope Administrator Staff Member

This page answers frequently asked questions about buying digital editions of games for your Xbox One console.

Buying digital games
    Topics

[​IMG]
    Can I buy digital versions of every Xbox One game?
    [​IMG]
    Do I miss out on any pre-order bonuses or limited editions if I buy digital editions of Xbox One games?
    [​IMG]
    Will I be able to redownload the digital version if anything goes wrong or if I get a new console?
    [​IMG]
    How many digital games can I store on my Xbox One console hard drive?
    [​IMG]
    Will my progress be saved if I ever have to redownload the digital version?
    [​IMG]
    Will the digital and physical versions of a game be the same in terms of graphics, quality, speed, and performance?
    [​IMG]
    Can I bring a digital game to play at a friend's house the way I can a physical disc?
    [​IMG]
    Can I instantly switch between digital versions of Xbox One games?
    [​IMG]
    What if I see the error “You've reached the limit of how much you can spend in the Store today”?
    [​IMG]
    I’m having problems playing a digital game I just purchased. What should I do?
    [​IMG]
    Can members of my family play the same game with me on separate Xbox One consoles, or do I need to purchase more?
    [​IMG]
    Can I get a refund for a digital game?
    Can I buy digital versions of every Xbox One game?
    All Xbox One games have a digital version, unless there's a required physical peripheral (for example, the "portal" device in Skylanders SWAP Force).

Do I miss out on any pre-order bonuses or limited editions if I buy digital editions of Xbox One games?
    It depends on the game. But some games, such as Call of Duty: Ghosts, actually include extra bonuses with digital content that don't come with the disc-based edition of the game. Other titles, such as Dead Rising 3, will have pre-order incentives that come with the digital version for the first two weeks. We'll see more of these kinds of incentives, but we can't guarantee incentives in every case.

Will I be able to redownload the digital version if anything goes wrong or if I get a new console?
    Yes, after you license and download the digital version, you can redownload the game. See Xbox Live Usage Rules for more information.

How many digital games can I store on my Xbox One console hard drive?
    That depends on the game file sizes. You can always remove game content from your hard drive to make space for new titles. Anything that you had purchased and have since deleted from your hard drive can be redownloaded at any time.

Will my progress be saved if I ever have to redownload the digital version?
    As long as you still have your game save file (either on your hard drive or in the cloud), your progress will be saved and available if you redownload the digital game.

Will the digital and physical versions of a game be the same in terms of graphics, quality, speed, and performance?
    Yes, digital and physical versions will be identical in these aspects.

Can I bring a digital game to play at a friend's house the way I can a physical disc?
    Yes, you can play your entire digital game library wherever you're signed in (in addition to on your home console).

Can I instantly switch between digital versions of Xbox One games?
    Yes. Here's how it works on the Xbox One console:

• Physical (disc-based)
      • You must install the game and play it from the hard drive.
      • The disc must always be in the disc drive to play it.
    • Digital
      • You must install the game and play it from the hard drive.
      • There's no disc, so you can easily switch between games.
    What if I see the error “You've reached the limit of how much you can spend in the Store today”?
    If you see this error, you may need to add or update your billing information. Here's how:

1. Scroll left on the Home screen to open the guide.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. Select All Settings.
    4. Under Account, select Payment