Disable Startup Programs in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows Know Base' started by securityhope, Jan 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. securityhope

securityhope Administrator Staff Member

I skipped the Windows 8 update for a reason and had the Windows 7 Pro until the Windows 10 came out. The Windows 10 is said to be the best Windows so far with improved features and functionality. One thing, you will notice after upgrading to the Windows 10 will be the boot time. The boot time of Windows 10 has considerably improved when compared to the Windows 7. However, if you compare it to Windows 8, the difference shouldn’t be much. The boot time of PC depends on several factors, and one of them is startup programs. Disable startup programs in Windows 10 and you should see improvement in your PCs boot time.

Now talking about the boot time, my Dell laptop takes about 125157 (milliseconds) = 2 minutes. Mind you, I have a Dell Inspiron N5010 early 2010 model with Intel Core i3 M370 paired with 4GB of RAM. So, the modern laptops may have better boot timing. If you have an SSD installed, the boot time will be in seconds.

The boot time was recorded using the Microsoft Even viewer, and it looks excellent if I compare it to the Windows 7 boot time. Now the question is can I improve the boot time even more and make my Windows 10 laptop boot faster?

Well, yes you can do some tweaks to improve the boot time. I will be posting a detailed article on improving the boot time in Windows 10 in a detailed post (check the link at the end of this post).

For today’s post, I will be showing you how to disable startup programs and services. Startup programs are the programs that start when your restart your PC.

Startup program feature may come in handy if you deal with several programs daily and want them running as soon as you restart your PC.

But, in my case I end up manually closing these startup programs because they serve no purpose except increasing load on my system and increasing the boot time.

Apart from the Startup programs, there are Startup services that also increases your boot time. So, disabling these unwanted startup programs and services in Windows 10 can reduce the load on the system and reduce the boot time as well. So, let’s see how to disable startup programs in Windows 10.

If you want to disable startup programs to improve the boot time in Windows 10, then you may want to note down the current boot time. This way you can compare the boot time before disabling the startup programs and after disabling the startup programs.

Check Last Boot Time

To check last boot time in Windows 10, you can access the Even Viewer. To open Event Viewer, type event in the search bar and from the result open “Even Viewer”.

In Even Viewer, navigate to Applications and Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostic Performance > Operational.

It will display all the events that occurred on your PC with an event ID. Look for Event ID 100. Click on the Event ID 100 and go to Details tab. Under Details tab, scroll down and look for “Boottime”. The boot time will be in milliseconds. Convert milliseconds to minutes to understand the boot time better.

[​IMG]

Note down your current boot time somewhere where you can access it easily later.

You can disable startup programs in Windows 10 from the task manager. So, begin by opening the task manager.

There are several ways to open the Task manager.
    • Right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager.
    • Press Ctrl Alt Delete and click on Task Manager to open it.
    • Type task manager in the search and click Task Manager to open it.
    Once you are in the Task Manager, click the Startup tab.

In startup tab, all the startup programs will be displayed. Select the program that you want to disable and click the Disable button.

I would suggest you to disable programs based on their startup impact. Look at the “Startup impact” column and if you find any program with “High” startup impact, disable it.

[​IMG]

That’s it! You have successfully disabled Startup programs in Windows 10. Restart your PC and check the boot time again to see if the boot time has improved. You can also read my detailed post on how to make your Windows boot faster to know more.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017