Fix net_scheduler wakelock

Discussion in 'Know Base' started by securityhope, Nov 10, 2016.

1. securityhope

securityhope Administrator Staff Member

it seems there is no universal solution for google play services wakelocks. i'm sharing my way of thinking and solving it.

tl;dr: go to settings/apps/google play services/storage/manage space, then tap on "clear all data" if it doesn't solve your problem -- choose between following options: a) full wipe/clean reinstall of everything; b) digging battery utilization apps.

so, it started after i moved from Cataclysm to (stock ROM + systemless root + elementalx kernel) w/out wiping userdata. everything seemed normal, except Google Play services wakelocks and no Deep Sleep CPUs states at all.

I've tried:

• almost all possible combinations of stock rom/root/full unroot/ + stock kernel/elemetalx formatting cache/dalvik;

• airplane mode;

• disabling bluetooth/wifi/wifi calling;

• reboot/clear cache/dalvik;

• switching location modes(like wifi/bluetooth scanning)/turning location off completely;

• disabling google now/ontap;

• disabling app sync completely / sync for google accounts only

• freezing in Titanium Backup all apps which may be using bluetooth (i have Mi Band Fit app, My Glass, Fit, Bluetooth connection to my car etc)
    Nothing helped me.

So, i've read this article http://elementalx.org/the-truth-about-kernels-and-battery-life/ and got Better Battery Stats (BBS) xda edition (please register on xda-developers forums and search for better battery stats to get your copy). Root is not necessary to run it, but it's good to have. BBS showed me PowerManagerService.WakeLocks on the first place on the main tab, which afaik a placeholder for other services/apps, which means i had to keep digging. that lead me to "partial wakelocks" which showed SystemUpdateService as a culprit. After googling/reading xda i found these 2 solutions:

1. http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/general/fix-fix-systemupdateservice-wakelock-t3060548 this seemed to me as too much of interference with the ROM and using tools i don't usually need: autostarts, privacy manager/appops/xposed. decided not to go with it and try more graceful way of fixing the issue, which is:
    2. http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/guide-to-fix-data-battery-drain-t3298080 i've already got root and Solid Explorer, and My Android Tools is a free app which i removed right after i used it. i've got through first step of these instructions but stuck on the second, because update.xml doesn't exists on my device. so i've decided to give it a try and cleared Google Play services data (go to settings/apps/google play services/storage/manage space, then tap on "clear all data"), rebooted my phone and so far i've got:
    • Deep Sleep as it should be (almost the same as "screen off" time);

• 1-2% battery drain per hour while my phone is in the deep sleep during the day and 12-19% battery drain per hour while my phone is awake;

• Google Play services gone from the system battery stats page completely, SystemUpdateService wakelock still appears in BBS, but drain is insignificant.

• What is on right now: wifi/bluetooth/google now/location in high accuracy mode (scanning is OFF for both wifi and bluetooth), Mi Band Fit works as usual, Google Fit/Bluetooth connection to the car work as usual.
    Which is not perfect, but acceptable for me. I'm going to look into the Google Play service APK to find where update.xml is and updating it so i can disable SystemUpdateService checks completely.

I'm not sure if any of my actions were actually effective, I think clearing Google Play services data solved the issue for me.

Hope it helps..