task scheduler return code 3762504530

Discussion in 'Windows Error Code, Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs' started by securityhope, Sep 18, 2016.

1. securityhope

securityhope Administrator Staff Member

Scheduled job not running to completion; event logged with return code 3762504530

I'm just a lowly developer, but a scheduled (2:00 am) VB.Net console app job I inherited is intermittently not running to completion. About half the time, it just doesn't run to completion, logging and event: Task Scheduler successfully completed task "[appname]" , instance "{3f00cbd6-b40e-4e74-a0da-4def71b4d7db}" , action "D:\Scheduled Tasks[foldername][appname.exe]" with return code 3762504530.

I found one other mention of that return code on the web, and the guy included the description of some settings; below are our analagous settings with answers provided by our Networking guy.

I'd be pathetically grateful for any advice or direction... thanks in advance.

Does the job "run whether user is logged in or not"? - YES

Is the job "run with highest privileges" - YES

What's the server OS? - Window 2008 R2 Standard

Is it true that "the only conditions set is to wake computer to run"? It is not set to wake the computer to run the task. However, it is not going to sleep and the task is running. It's just exiting abnormally.

Are the "settings are allow task to be run on demand / stop task if running more than 3 days / if task does not end when requested force it to stop"? YES, it can be run on demand; YES, it will stop the task if it runs longer than 4 hours; YES, it will force it to stop if it doesn't end as requested.

Answer

I believe that return code is a generic .NET console app crashed code. The way the job is set up in Task Scheduler is not causing this issue.

Check the Application event log on the server for any errors that occurred near the time the job 'completed'. Those events should give you more information as to why the job exited abnormally, so you have some idea where to start troubleshooting.

My C# application is returning 0xE0434352 to Windows Task Scheduler but it is not crashing

I have written a few C# apps that I have running via windows task scheduler. They are running successfully (as I can see from the log files that they are writing ) but windows task scheduler shows them returning a last run result of 0xE0434352. Is there something I need to do in my C# application so that it returns a success code to the windows task scheduler?

Answer 1

Hans Passant was correct, I added a handler for AppDomain.CurrentDomain.UnhandledException as described here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.appdomain.unhandledexception(v=vs.71).aspx I was able to find the exception that was occurring and corrected it.

Answer 2

Another option is to simply use the Application log accessible via the Windows Event Viewer. The .Net error will be recorded to the Application log.