Fix VLC Settings and Preferences Showing Black Dots Issue

Discussion in 'Windows Know Base' started by securityhope, Jan 16, 2017.

1. securityhope

securityhope Administrator Staff Member

VLC Media Player is the king of all media players and comes with tons of features to take care of your all the Media file needs. It also supports tons of other codecs, just in case you find that one of the media file formats you have is not supported by the Player. However, recently I encountered a strange issue with VLC media player after the installation. After installing VLC to my Windows 10 PC, the VLC player started fine, but I could not read some of the text displayed in the settings and preference section.

When you open VLC Media Player and click the Media option, you should see all different kind of options such Open Files and Open Multiple Files, etc. Then there are options like Open Disc and Save Playlist to File. Normally all of these options are clearly visible, but this time, I could not read Open Disc and Save Playlist option because it was hidden by few black dots which replaced the text Open Disc and Save Playlist to File. You can see the image to get the idea of it.

[​IMG]

Now if you move to Tools >> Preferences option, you will be surprised to see you can read nothing because everything has been replaced by those annoying black dots. Black dots, Black dots everywhere. This could be frustrating for anyone who may not have the slightest idea of what’s happening.

[​IMG]

Fortunately, fixing the black dots replacing settings and Preference text issues was easier than thought, and it was found to be the language settings which was causing this issue. So, if you are facing the VLC settings and preference showing black dots instead of text then here is a quick fix for it.

Fix VLC Settings and Preferences Showing Black Dots Issue

As I said earlier in my case, it was a the VLC player language settings in Preferences that was causing the problem. So, changing the language setting to British English from Auto fixed the issue for me. Here is how to do it.

Open VLC Media Player from your desktop VLC icon.

Once the VLC media player starts, go to Tools and click Preferences. Alternatively, you can also press Ctrl P short key to open Preferences in VLC media player.

Click the fist tab that is Interface tab. If you cannot read anything, then look for the Green and Orange icon of Traffic Cones.

[​IMG]

Under Interface Settings, look at the right side for a drop down menu. That is your Language setting for VLC player.

By default, your language setting should be selected to Auto. Click on the drop-down menu and select your preferred language from the options. If you are looking to set is as English, then select British English instead of American English as I have noticed that selecting American English could not resolve the issue at the whole, and some settings were still showing black dots.

[​IMG]

Once you have selected British English or your predefined language, click on Save button.
    Close the Preference window and also close VLC Media Player completely.

Now restart VLC Media Player. Go to Tools >> Preferences and see if the black dots have gone away and you can see the clear text for settings and other options.

[​IMG]

Not sure if this is a bug with VLC Media Player or just a PC specific issue. Will update the post if found more info.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017