Save All Open Tabs and Restore Later in Chrome/Firefox

Discussion in 'Windows Know Base' started by securityhope, Jan 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. securityhope

securityhope Administrator Staff Member

One of the handiest feature available in any modern web browser is the ability to open multiple tabs. This allows you to open as many as tabs in Chrome and Firefox within a single Window. Though you can open a new tab in the new window, having the ability to open multiple tabs within a single window in Chrome and Firefox makes it much easier to access the tabs.

However, multiple open tabs can be messy and managing all of them could be a problem. For example, if you have about 10 tabs open in Chrome and Firefox web browser and all of them are related to your work or research. What if you haven’t finished your work, and you don’t want to close all the open tabs but want to shut down your PC?

You can save all open tabs in Chrome and Firefox using bookmark all feature. The bookmark all feature is available in both Chrome and Firefox. Though, Microsoft Edge is yet to get it.

With bookmark all tabs feature you can save all open tabs in Chrome and Firefox as a bookmark at once. Whenever you want to relaunch all the tabs, you can do so by opening all the bookmarks from a particular folder.

The bookmark all tabs feature has proved to be a productive feature for me as I have more than 10 tabs open all the time. Since I cannot finish all the work in a one day, I need these tabs to be available next day as well and maybe even for weeks to come. Since I choose to shut down my PC instead of putting it into standby mode, the possibility of being able to restore previously open tabs is not very high as Chrome may not store recent open tabs session all the time.

This is where the bookmark all tabs feature comes in handy. Whenever I want to shut down the PC, I would bookmark all the tabs in a folder and save them. Next time I can relaunch all the tabs with a single click from the bookmark area. Also, read how to set Chrome, Firefox as default browser in Windows 10
    Though it is still a workaround, there seems to be no other solution to keep your all the open tabs alive after the restart. So, here is how to save all tabs to restore later in Chrome and Firefox.

Save All Open Tabs to Restore Later in Chrome/Firefox

Note: I will be using Google Chrome as an example for this article, but the steps are similar for Firefox as well.

Launch Google Chrome web browser.

Right-click on the Bookmark bar area and select Add Folder.

[​IMG]

Select Bookmarks bar folder and then click on New Folder (bottom).
    Enter a Name for your new folder and click Save.

Now open all the tabs that you want to save so that you can restore them later. Once you have all the tabs, right-click on any one of the tabs and select Bookmark all tab.

[​IMG]

Now select your newly created folder and save all the tabs as Bookmark in that folder.
    Tip: You can use Ctrl Shift D shortcut to bookmark all open tabs.

Relaunch\Restore Previously Saved Tabs

To restore previously saved tabs in Chrome and Firefox, right-click on the folder in which you have bookmarked all the tabs and select Open All Bookmarks.

That’s it! Now all your previously open tabs will open in a new window.

Best Chrome Extension to Save All Open Tabs session

If you are comfortable using a Chrome extension instead then have a look at the best Chrome extensions to manage your tabs.

[​IMG]

Session Buddy –
    Session Buddy, is the most popular tab managing extension for the Google Chrome web browser. It allows to view all open tabs in one place, save open tabs and restore them later, recover open tabs after a system crash, creating sessions from a list of URLs, etc.

[​IMG]

Save My Tabs can also be a life savior for webmaster who have to redirect hundreds of links to a new URL. What you can do is open all the URLs that you want to redirect and copy all the URLs/links to your clipboard with a single click.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Download QR-Code
    Save my Tabs
    Developer: SG Web
    Price: Free

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017