IPv6 on Xbox One

Discussion in 'Windows Know Base' started by securityhope, Feb 9, 2017.

1. securityhope

securityhope Administrator Staff Member

Xbox One can connect to networks using two protocols that allow devices to transmit information: the traditional IPv4 communications protocol, and its newer version, IPv6. For Xbox One to connect to the Internet using IPv6, your home router needs to have IPv6 enabled, and your Internet service provider (ISP) must support IPv6.

What’s IPv6?

Internet Protocol version 6 is the most current network protocol, bringing several improvements over IPv4. Most important, IPv6 expands the number of possible IP addresses (the unique numbers that represent every device on the Internet). And—most useful for Xbox—the expansion removes the need for Network Address Translation (NAT), which can interfere with multiplayer gaming and chat over IPv4 networks.

What if my Xbox One isn’t connected using IPv6?

Your Xbox will work normally without IPv6 connectivity. However, for the best possible experience, we recommend enabling IPv6 on your network. Several Xbox One features already make use of IPv6, and we’re building more.

How can I tell if my Xbox is connected using IPv6?

Here’s how to check:

1. On your controller, double-tap the Xbox button to open the guide.
    2. Select Settings > All settings.
    3. Select Network > Network settings.
    If your Xbox One has IPv6 connectivity, your Current Network Status will read IPv4